Monday, August 24, 2009

Fruitful Life

Currently in my Humanities 350 Class; American Childhood through literature, we are reading a book called Push by Sapphire. The book is a gritty and disturbing tale about a young woman named Precious Jones who is physically and sexually abused by both parents and how she overcame how her childhood through her new found love for writing and reading. A great book but be sure to pace yourself before reading! In the book, Precious writes a poem called "Untitled", which is a poem she wrote about her childhood. My professor asked us to write a poem about our own personal life using Precious' format and structure. You have to read hers first in order to understand mine fully and that's only because of the guidelines my professor asked for but I did enjoy writing this, it made me aware of thankful and blessed I am to be me and to have my life.
In this writing process and the journey of finding my Walker family, I realized there's no sense in dwelling on the past or what could have been but rather to focus on my present and future. I don't know what my life would've been like so there's no sense in trying to harbor bad feelings or hatred towards anyone. I feel the whole truth will never be revealed to me about my parents divorce, relationship and Greg's actions so no need to focus on the unknown. With that said, this poem helped me put my life in perspective and to be thankful to God for the positive and I must add in my defense beautiful person that I am :).

P.S. One of my favorite quotes from singer and poet Erykah Badu: "Now keep in mind I'm an artist and I'm sensitive about my shit!" Blatant but very true. It takes a lot of courage and willpower for me or anyone else to post our work. With that said: ENJOY!!

Fruitful Life

God, love, family,

Reading

Yearning for life to be full of surprises

Set me free on any adventures

I yearned to see

People, beaches, exotic places

States and countries unforeseen

Shirley Caesar

Song

I didn’t understand it then

But now I’m grateful

For the sacrifices mother made

NO CHARGE

Song

Life was too easy then I couldn’t see

Past my dolls and friends

Losing Papa was too hard

How to deal with such a lost?

Feelings of being lost without my anchor

To guide me

Accept change accept change accept change

Learning money and responsibility on

Grandparents ice cream truck

Being surrounded with such

Large family

Not missing my missing father

Love of my family and friends

I know I love to read and write

Maybe be a Pediatrician

I love life

I’m happy

Someone else is poor

Or have no family

I’m grateful to be free and happy as

A pure white-innocent dove

Momma says to always love yourself first

Art is timeless

Maya Angelou says

God says Love thy neighbor

Life is a marvelous, transitory adventure

Nikki Giovanni speaks

Don’t censor yourself, just write Professor Hirschberg teaches

Just like a seed that has been planted deep into the soil

Never stop growing or changing

Or else you’ll die

And fade away like old time

No comments:

Post a Comment